Sunday 18 July 2010

Still no human interaction

Normally, I enjoy being single. Normally, though, I am in a country where I speak the language and have some friends. Today, I am not enjoying being single. Today, all I want is to curl up on the settee with my boyfriend and watch Sherlock Holmes. Alas, I am missing all three parts of this equation, and will have to settle for writing, drinking tea, playing Spider Solitaire and learning German. I may even eat some potatoes later on.

I tried to go to church. I got very lost on the way, and ended up in totally the wrong part of town, but I did eventually find the correct road. I think that I even found the building in which the service was taking place, although it was not very clearly-labelled. I didn’t see anything which said that this building was what I was looking for. However, I shall try again next Sunday, and make sure that I get there on time. The people going into the building should give me a clue about the location of the entrance. I shall have a look on the website again, also.

Being unemployed is starting to lose its attraction, also. Being employed full-time doesn’t seem like such a good idea, either, but a job in which I got to talk to people from time to time certainly sounds more fun than hanging around, wondering when something is actually going to happen.

I know, I know – in order for things to happen, I have to make them happen. It’s just that this language barrier thing has taken me way outside my comfort zone. It’s not great fun going up to people who speak your language and asking them to interact with you; when you have no idea whether or not they will speak your language, it is an awful lot harder. I know – moan, moan, moan. Sitting there playing Spider Solitaire (which I am not doing – you can clearly tell that I am typing right now) is going to solve nothing. I need to learn the German and go out and make friends.

On the plus side, though, I missed out on a week of silence at Taizé, but I am certainly getting one now! I have had plenty of time to contemplate my life, although there has been very little spiritual guidance.

Yes, this is pathetic, oh life is so hard, me. I want to give up and return to Taizé, or home, but I know that if I do that, I will regret not giving this a proper try in the future. Also, I am really enjoying getting around by bike. I think that perhaps I will do more cycling when I get a bike which is my size.

Are there any good blogs written by people who don’t talk to other people?

No comments: